Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Potty Training Drama

Potty Training can be the most frustrating time with your sweet toddler, like there aren't already enough new "issues" during that 2ND year. Well, since I have officially potty trained 4 children now that Trace is in underwear, I thought some tips that helped me, might help some others too.
How I did it:
I never bought one of those portable baby toilet thing's. I started letting them sit on the potty before they got in the tub each night.....once those toes hit that warm water, it usually makes them go. ;)
Boys, oh those boys....too busy to go. Just wanna play their little hearts out and who cares about stickers or candy. So Kade , my oldest showed 0 interest in going on the pot...till he was 3. I tried and tried and was so sad that my kid was the oldest and wasn't potty trained. Then one day a couple of weeks after his 3rd b-day, he just says out of the blue that he needed to go tinkle in the toilet. That was it! done!
Paige and Ty learned the same way. I gave them lots of salty foods and water to give them the urge. They needed to learn what that felt like. For 1 whole day, I set the timer for 30 minutes and I took them every 30 minutes for the whole day. That was it.

Trace, the one I just finished with was so funny. Of course.... He was talking at 9 months and at about 1 and 1/2 he was asking to go potty on the toilet. I said OH NO! This is my baby.....you just potty in that diaper there....So at 2 and 1/2, I thought I was ready, I mean, he was ready. I tried and tried, I set the timer and took him every 30 minutes and he would go and then 5 minutes after that, go again in his pull-up. So one fine evening, I was completely out of baby wipes and he went in his pull-up, #2. Yeah, gross....I had no other choice but to rinse that little booty in the shower. I held him up over my arm and stuck his little bottom in the cold shower....and he just panicked-poor thing-shaking and crying. I told him we were out of baby wipes so if he went on himself we were just going to have to rinse his hiney in the shower.......that was it... every time he went potty after that he would say, "yay, I don't have to get the cold shower." I did make sure he knew I wasn't mad at him, we were just out of wipes.
DONE. whew!
If you are a current potty trainer....don't get frustrated. It will come. I can't believe that I will not have to buy diapers again....ever. wow! Hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment